Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Anxiety

Really I am just tired and ready to get this surgery over with. I have had such a hard time getting to this point that now I am really ready to get a move on. I know that in a week I will be wondering what I was thinking to do this! But for now I am back to reading everything I can find about life after surgery on the internet. Unfortunately that is making me very apprehensive. I guess the old saying is true, people who have had a bad experience will tell the world while people with a good experience will tell a few.
I keep reading forum posts and hearing all these negatives and I am finally getting nervous. 90% of the stuff these people are saying doesn’t even apply to me but I can’t seem to stop reading it and worrying. I think I need to ban myself from the internet for a few days so that my mind can refresh itself and stop my anxiety.
I know all this stuff! I have been warned about it and given reassurance that since I am not severely obese that many of these things don’t apply. I am young enough, healthy, and only have about 90 lbs to lose. Heck I don’t even have to lose that much 60lbs will bring me down to a much safer weight zone and take away the majority of my health risks.
Maybe it is just normal to question making decisions that can affect your health. This decision is to improve my health but since it is optional it seems like it is more important. Everyone understands if you have to have an appendectomy because it is a necessary surgery. Most people however feel that having  a surgery to lose weight is just being lazy.

2 comments:

Courtney at RRI said...

Hi there! I’m so glad you’ve decided to take the path towards becoming healthier, because you deserve to have a life where, as you said, you do care. I know you’ve said you looked into bariatric surgery, which can be an option, but it’s not a magic fix. It’s pretty common for people to get the surgery, lose a ton of weight, and over the next few years slowly creep back up to where they were before. It’s really unfortunate, but not surprising.

They never addressed the underlying causes of their weight gain to begin with. I’m not talking about a “hormone imbalance” or “they weren’t eating the right foods” or any of the other excuses people will throw out.

I’m talking about addressing why you eat.

We all have these core human needs in our lives, from significance to love to certainty, and they dictate our actions, because we need to feel them all. That’s why someone can commit to a weight loss plan, then totally fall off the wagon when they have a couple of bad days: the stress eating gives us a feeling of control and comfort, which we need at that time.

I’d really like you to watch this short video of Beverly, who lost 230 lbs. without any surgery–it goes over her story, but mostly it just explains our different human needs and how we can address them in healthier ways over the long term. The link is at http://bit.ly/MGFm2Z

I’m not trying to talk you out of your surgery. I’m sure you’ve done your research and feel this is the best thing for you. However, I want to make sure that no matter what you do, you wind up achieving your goals, because as you matter, and if nothing else you might get some good information out of the video.

If you have any questions or just want to talk, just reply to this comment and I’d be more than happy to chat.

Ordinary Mom said...

Since you took the time to address me I thought I would return the favor.

I have spent years in therapy learning why I eat and why I do alot of other things. I have learned how to use tools to cope with these issues and I have busted my butt doing it.

Yes I can lose weight by eating right and exercising and I fully intend to do that. I just plan to use this tool to help me stay on track.

Thank you for your concern and for the link I will look at it soon.

Post a Comment