Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

The day I discovered milk shakes weren't all good!

Well last week just flew by.

I finally got an appointment scheduled for my gastric bypass. YIPPEE!!! Now I just have to make it through the weeks of protein shakes and vitamins:(

Today is day 1 of vitamins and protein drinks and I can already tell this is going to be a long and arduous process. LOL The vitamins are mostly chewable and while I am grateful that they are fruit flavored I can't say I am in love with the gritty chalky nastiness of them. The calcium in particular is so chalky I was surrounded in a cloud of dust when I opened the bottle. Top it off with them being the size of a quarter and as thick as my pinky finger. I have to take 3 calcium a day, 1 thiamine, 1 b-12, 3 multivitamins, and a iron tablet. Add that to the medications I am already on and I feel like a geriatric person sucking down pills every few minutes. LOL

On the up side I am allowed to eat one meal a day so I get to enjoy that. The people that came to the intake appointment with me were all much larger and they have to drink 5 protein drinks a day with no meals. Plus the majority of them had horrendous medical and surgical histories so they had extra medications to take. I do NOT envy them. 

For now I will quietly complain about the horse pills, pray the iron doesn't tear me up, drink my three shakes a day, and eat my one meal. I am sure after the surgery I will be glad I have endured it and it will make me appreciate my meals in the future. Heck maybe I will even learn to savor them and stop eating so fast.

Now if only they had protein drinks/meals that tasted like good food instead of milk shakes. I honestly don't think I will ever want another milk shake after weeks of nothing but them. I tried to do the vegetable soup one but it was awful so now I am stuck with strawberry shakes until I can get there and buy some other flavors. Lord knows I am going to have to mix it up a bit or I will go stark raving mad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment