Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dissapointment

Sometimes I wonder if I am a really bad parent. I mean I love my children and I am proud of all their accomplishments but how do you ignore it when you see your child doing something you aren't proud of?

Let me start by saying that about a year ago we instituted a family policy that each child would do something aerobic all year round just to try to help them stay healthy. The kids are allowed to pick what they want to do and it can be anything from swimming lessons to full on contact sports. We don't force them to play a sport hell they can chose to walk the dogs for 30 minutes a day just as long as they are active. Our only rule about this is that once you sign up for a team sport you are not allowed to quit, you must play the entire season.

LAX Diva came home one day a little over a year ago busting at the seams about a game called lacrosse so we signed her up and she has been playing lacrosse for a little over a year. When she started she had never played a sport and had to learn everything from scratch. So we spent the first season watching her grow and being so proud of the improvements she made. This year we were hoping to watch her continue to grow but it has not happened. She thinks she is the best player on the field, and she probably is, but she is not putting in half the effort of the other players.

I have tried to be as supportive as possible and not say anything about her lack of intensity. I mean I don't want to be one of THOSE mothers who is constantly fussing at their kid if they don't score the winning goal. BUT a few games ago the whole team played poorly and they lost again. LAX Diva comes off the field bawling and proceeds to ignore us and give her sister dirty looks when we try to tell her good game. I have never been so embarrassed in my life!!! I know I have taught her better than that. Here I am sitting in the stands cheering her on and she is acting like a 4 year old. Hell she cant even be bothered to be a good sport and congratulate the other team decently.

Bug on the other hand has no athletic ambitions. She is a couch potato and has picked up my families genetic tendency towards having a bit of a gut. So we asked her what she wanted type of activity she wanted to do and she picked lacrosse for this season. I wondered why since she hates going to her sisters game but I bit the bullet and signed her up anyway.

Well guess what? We have to drag her to every practice/game kicking and crying. Daddy D hates it and so do I but I refuse to let her quit especially since I am the team parent and expected to help throughout the season. Needless to say she is not an enthusiastic participant and the team would probably be better off without her. She spends most of her time trying to make friends with the other team. HAHAHA

I think I am living through the season from hell!!! Both girls are putting as little effort as they can into it and I am busting my ass trying to make it to games and coordinate parent volunteers. At least Bug doesn't act like an ass when her team loses. Of course it might help if she actually payed enough attention to know whether they won or not. LOL

0 comments:

Post a Comment