Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Stupid Stupid Decision

Today we decided to take the girls out on the boat and go to a local crab shack on the water. Daddy D checked the forecast and it said that storm were coming in but that they were a long way away and they were not supposed to show up until late in the day. Of course that is the same forecast we have had for several days now and nothing has happened. Daddy D is THE MAN when it comes to the weather forecast so I took him at his word and off we went.

It took forever to get to the crab shack because our boat is small and the waves were big, but we made it and waited for the really cool shuttle boat to come take us in to the crab shack. I got a funny feeling in my stomach when the shuttle driver told me to put out more line on my anchor because there was a storm coming. We decided it would be a good idea to wait out the storm in the safety of the crab shack. Once the storm appeared to be over we headed back up the river to our launch site and all hell broke out.

We hit wind, then rain, then hail so bad that I felt like I was getting pummeled with shard of glass trying to get us the hell out of there. At one point it got so bad I had the kids get down on the bottom of the boat and cover up with towels to protect their skin. I was scared but I didn't let the kids know that! Daddy D couldn't drive because his glasses were so wet he couldn't see. How I did it I don't know because water was flying up into my eyes so bad I had to wear sunglasses to keep my contacts in.

We made it home and I plan to NEVER EVER EVER EVER do that again! Someone must have been saying a prayer for us today.

1 comments:

Paula said...

Holy Cow, that must have been scarey. I'm glad you all made it home. I remember a camping trip about this time one year back in Texas. The weather forecast was good, only a chance of showers/storms. We headed out. My husband and I had just met. He and his son slept in one tent, and I had two of our girls in the other. It was clear and a full moon when I went to sleep. Then, all hell broke loose. The tents flooded and it was awful. He woke us up, but us in the van, stood out with a pancho and made coffee for me. I knew he was the one that day.

Post a Comment